Newell
Travel the King's Highway On March 6, 1854 a meeting was held in the school house to form a council, elect officers and set the ordinances for governing our new town. Ordinance #1 Section 4 declared the streets and alleys were declared public highways and subject to such order as the Burgess and Council may direct. At the plotting of the streets they crossed at right angles and thanks to Job Johnson they were wide for that time - 65 feet from curb to curb. This width was determined by estimating the distance needed for a horse drawn wagon to make a "U" turn in the street without going to the next intersection. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd streets were uneven and swampy making elevated wooden walkways necessary to cross from one side to the other. These walkways (see attached photo) were called "Kings Highways." Area Facts 1891 Council of California planned to "macadamizing" the streets with broken limestone. 1889 A "show" came to California and was fined $6.00 for erecting their tent on Sunday. The Monongahela River rose to 34 feet on April 19, 1851. In 1908 the telephone rates in Mid-Mon-Valley were $54 per year for a single line. Daisytown was founded about 1908. A pottery was established in Granville by Wm. Winfield. In 1790 one bushel of salt was worth 20 bushels of wheat. In early postal days postage was paid by receiver, not the sender. As early as 1786 there was weekly boat service between Pittsburgh and Brownsville. Long Branch Borough was once known as "Walnut Hill." Centerville was named because it lies about halfway between Scenery Hill and Brownsville. More than 13,000 federal troops were sent to Mid-Mon Valley in 1791 to put down the Whiskey Rebellion. In 1933 an 84 year record was broken in California by the repeal of a law prohibiting sale of hard liquor. Since the corporation of the town there had been no legal dispensing place for intoxicationst or what was termed a saloon.